Thursday, September 11, 2014

We're Back. . . .

Still playing catch up here.  Summer vacation raged through our summer like a forest fire on dry kindling. 

Getting home after twelve hours in the back of an SUV with just enough leg room for a five year old takes its toll even on the youngest of us.  But we lived to tell about it!

I was holding my breath on the strawberries this year.  I was afraid they would be done by the time we got back home from KY.  But it was all good.  Plenty of berries to be had if we just worked for them.  This was Hope's first year picking.  I can't imagine not having a berry field nearby.  But they don't, so Eastern Shore Berries it was!

Hope and Sarah teamed up.
 
 
 
Looking for Rubies.
 
 
Our bounty.  (First go-round)

After they'd eaten what they could hold, it was Hope's turn to serve up some Strawberry Pie!  The process never changes.  Just the cook.  The recipe was handed down several moons ago by a sweet lady we attended church with.  I found out just this summer that it was handed down to her by a sweet lady.  I could tell you what it is, but then I'd have to kill ya.   tee-hee

Mixin' up the syrup
Oooooo. . . . . ahhhhhh. . . . . liquid Rubies!
Pouring the liquid Rubies over the red Rubies!
Makes me drool just looking at the picture.
Hope did a great job with the pie. Now all we had to do was wait for it to set up and add some homemade strawberry whipped cream.    It was  To.  Die.  For.

As if that wasn't enough, we made Strawberry Jam.  Hope and Sarah took turns helping.  Each has their own batch to claim. 



I'm supposing the jam will make its way back to KY when we go.  Both girls had to fly home at the end of their stay and couldn't take their bounty with them.  Not to worry.  I will keep it safe. 

About all they had time for was swimming and lounging.  But that was okay.  I was happy to have them here with me.



One of their favorite things to do in the pool.

Another favorite pool activity.  I wonder if you can tell which
sets of girls are most alike?
The week was short.  Very short.  All the girls have grown so much.  Not just my KY gals, but the ones here at home too.  Would it be too much to ask to put time in a bottle for just a little while?

I will leave the summer here for just a day or two.  Another birthday will be celebrated tomorrow.  (Told ya about those September birthdays.) 

 I'll be back after that ~ Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
i'm a wife, a mom, a mom-mom, a sister, an aunt, a cousin, a friend...i'm a child of God.... i love to read, scrap, and sew (all when time permits!)... i like trying new things, going to different places, even if only in my mind....i like simple, but life is complicated....i like spring days, snow storms, thunderstorms, and big puffy clouds you can make things out of....i like coffee, tea and iced chocolate milk you can sip thru a straw..........